Well, according to Sotheby’s:
Here are our highlights from 2018, a record breaking year:
– Annual wine and spirits sales exceed $100 million for first time
– Sotheby’s has achieved over $1.1 billion in wine auction sales worldwide since 1995
– Auction sales surged over 50%
– #1 worldwide in live Auction sales, and #1 overall in Asia
– World’s most expensive bottle of wine sold at $558,000
– Highest price for any spirit in the Americas at $843,200
– Burgundy represented 42% of sales
– Asian buyers represented 63% of sales
– #1 Wine producer is Domaine de la Romanée-Conti at $24 million / 21% of sales
– Retail has highest level of sales ever, in both Asia and New York
– Highest value single retail transaction at US$1.5 Million
It’s probably good that I’m enjoying some Beaujolais this week, if DRC is now 24 million a bottle (give it time!)….
There are 2 responses to “the auction market according to…”
‘Number of fakes identified from bottles submitted for auction ?
‘Number of fakes identified pulled from sales’ ?
‘Number of identified sakes sold regardless – and sold in which markets ?’
I’m thinking of selling my house to buy a bottle of wine.